Spanish Eggs
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 T butter
3 T flour
2 tsp sugar
1 1-lb 12 oz can tomatoes
1 bay leaf
6 hard cooked eggs
1/4 cup mayo
1 tsp prepared mustard
3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 T butter, melted
In skillet, cook onion in 3 T butter till tender. Blend in flour, sugar and 3/4 tsp salt and a dash of pepper. Add tomatoes & bay leaf. Cook till thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove bay leaf. Pour into 10x6 baking dish.
Halve eggs lengthwise. Remove yolks and mash. Mis with mayo, mustard, 1/8 tsp salt & dash pepper; refill egg whites. Put in dish. Combine crumbs & melted butter; sprilnkle atop. Bake at 425 for 10 min, or till hot. Serve over buttered noodles or toast.
Note: I have this in my cookbook from when I was a teenager. I remember that I found it while doing research for my Spanish class, but other than that, don't remember where I got it, or making it. It sounds yummy, though. I think I'll have to re-try it soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment