10/26/11

Zucchini Brownies

found on allrecipes.com
Prep Time:
15 Min.
Cook Time:
30 Min
Ready In:
45 Min

Original Recipe Yield 1 9x13 Pan 
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  •  
  • 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched. To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 209 | Total Fat: 8.6g | Cholesterol: < 1mg

My Notes: In an attempt to make these even healthier, I made a few substitutions and nixed the frosting for a powdered sugar dusting.  1/2 of the flour was whole wheat, 1/2 of the sugar was brown, and I blended up applesauce really fine and replaced the oil with it.  Then I had about 1/3 of a bag of choc chips left over that I dumped in. What isn't better with some chocolate chips in is?!  After mixing, it appeared way too dry, so, in an attempt to make sure they were fudgy, I added an egg.  Woops. I should have read down in the comments of the recipe, first.  Eggs actually MAKE it cakey!  They turned out good, the hubby will eat them (though he doesn't know how healthy they are), and the kids love them.   Apparently the zucchini "sweats" (I know, a gross term when talking food) during baking, and creates the moisture needed to make them fudgy.  Next time I'll leave out the egg, but keep the other substitutions, or maybe try agave in place of the sugar all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment