Raspberry Ganache Cake
Jen Brady's rendition
I started the week off getting up and running before work. Great goal. Great intentions. It lasted 2 days. Although I WILL get back to it, I ended the fabulously successfully work-out week my making this beautifully delectable creation.
I will admit, the idea was not my own. I attended a function a couple of weeks ago where a rendition of this cake was served. I was not able to get the recipe, so I set out to figure it out on my own. So here is my version of it...It is quite easy, only slightly more time consuming than the average cake with frosting, but not much.
Cake:
Vanilla flavor or White Flavor cake mix of your choice (or you could make one from scratch)
-Make cake according to directions on box. Cool completely!
-Prepare Ganache (see below). Let cool slightly while stirring occasionally and doing the next step.
-If you made 2 rounds, slice off the tops to make each layer level. I sliced one a bit thinner than the other to have uneven layers. If you made 1 rectangular, slice off the top to make it level, and then slice whole cake into two layers. Carefully remove the top layer and set aside.
-Ganache should still be smooth, but a little thicker now than when first made. You want it to be about pudding consistency.
-Place top layer of cake over the ganache. Chill for a few minutes to help ganache set and not drip down the sides after having the added weight of the 2nd layer placed on top.
-Meanwhile, make whipped cream. Whip it fairly stiff (but not to butter;-). Stir with a rubber spatula to make sure it smooths nicely, but holds shape. When desired consistency is reached, take your cake out of the fridge.
-Frost cake with whipped cream. Try to smooth it out as much as possible, if you want it to look pretty.
-Chop up raspberries and sprinkle over the cake. Drizzle remaining ganache over top of cake. (If it has gotten too thick to drizzle and does more a clump-dump, then microwave it for a few seconds and stir until it's to a good drizzling consistency. Do this for about 10 sec at a time so you don't scorch the ganache.) Try not to let any drizzle over the edge (the warm ganache on the whipped cream will just melt it and make it not quite so pretty.)
-Whaalaa! Admire your yummilicious creation, take a picture, and then dive in!
-Store covered in the fridge.
Ganache: (courtesy of on Allrecipes.com - hope you don't mind Ingrid!)
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- Place the chocolate into a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, watching very carefully because if it boils for a few seconds, it will boil out of the pot. When the cream has come to a boil, pour over the chopped chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Stir in the rum if desired.
- Allow the ganache to cool slightly before pouring over a cake. Start at the center of the cake and work outward. For a fluffy frosting or chocolate filling, allow it to cool until thick, then whip with a whisk until light and fluffy.
- whipping cream (for this cake, I'd do at least 1 to 1 1/2 cups)
- powdered sugar (to taste)
- vanilla (to taste)
Notes:
I made 2-9 in rounds this time. The ganache recipe had just a little extra for this size. It would probably be perfect for a 9x13. Really make sure the cake is cooled completely. A lot of times I'll be in a rush and not cool the cake before frosting. That won't cut it this time. It'll all fall apart on you, so make the cake part the day before if you'll be running short on time when you make it. I only had 2 raspberries that were good enough to use when I made this, and that definitely was not enough! For 9-in round, use at least 4 raspberries, but the more the better! Next time I might try putting a thin layer of the ganache on top of the top layer, before frosting with the whipped cream. I also will probably add a little cream cheese to the whipped cream.
No comments:
Post a Comment