6/6/11

Sweat Stains

I've done it!!! I've found a sweat stain buster! I know, I know, ewwwww.  But face it, you sweat. I'm sure you have stained shirts. Some are lucky enough to be able to more frequently replace their shirts than others.

Instructions:
Mix ammonia and color safe bleach (NOT chlorine bleach, which is not color safe, and produces a toxic gas when mixed with ammonia.) at a 1:1 ratio.  Liquid Chlorox 2 works well.  Apply to stains, let sit. (I'm not really sure how long you need to let it sit. Probably only like 10 min, but I get pulled a lot of different directions and am quickly off to other things, so have let it sit overnight each time I've done it. It has dried in the fabric, but still worked great!).  Then wash in HOT water.  If the first time trying to bust an old stain, after letting the ammonia mixture set for a while, rinse with the hottest water that comes out of your tap.  If any stain is left, apply dish soap, and rub the fabric together all over the stained area (which should be faded, already).  Then wash in a hot water load.  If it's a bad stain on white fabric, you can use dishWASHER detergent if the regular dish soap didn't quite do the trick. Dishwasher detergent has a bleaching agent in it, so only use it on Whites.

I like to mix a batch in a squirt bottle and keep it by my laundry hamper.  Whenever I take off a shirt that may have staining problems, I'll squirt down the arm pit area and then throw in the hamper for regular laundry day.  The first time attacking a tough stain will probably take a few applications/washings as well as possibly using dish soap or dish washer liquid (only use this one white, though, because it has a bleaching agent).  After busting the stain the first time, a spray after wearing every couple of times is easy maintenance.


I've done this on shirts that have sat in my closet for years, unwearable, hoping some day I'd figure something out. And here it is!

Dish soap and dishwasher soap are my two favorite stain fighting agents!  They break down the grease that holds so many stains in our clothes. I've gotten out so many old, set stains once I discovered using them!

No comments:

Post a Comment